Uniphos Envirotronic Inc. is pleased to announce that as of December 11, 2017 we have a new gas detection tube available in North America for methyl bromide. The new Methyl Bromide – 0.2 tube was designed by our research and development team in the Uniphos Envirotronic Pvt. Ltd. factory in India to offer a safe solution for applicators.
Methyl bromide is primarily used as a broad-based pesticide to control a wide variety of pests in agriculture and shipping including fungi, weeds, insects, roundworms and rodents.
Methyl bromide is typically a colorless and odorless gas at low concentrations, but may have a chloroform-like odor at high concentration. It is considered a restricted use pesticide because of its high toxicity to applicators and hence, may only be purchased and used by certified applicators. Symptoms of inhalation include dizziness, convulsions, headache, abdominal pain, labored breathing and weakness. Other symptoms may occur based on exposure level and time.
Some of the applications for the new methyl bromide tube include:
- Agricultural fumigation, primarily for soil fumigation
- Container fumigation of grain in mills, warehouses, ships & freight cars to control insects and rodents
- Structural fumigation, primarily for wood-boring insects
- Solvent for aniline dye production
- Extracting oils from nuts, seeds and flowers
Methyl bromide is considered an ozone depleting chemical, therefore falling under the Clean Air Act.